Thursday 18 June 2015

my new hometown

So, about the exchange year news that I mentioned last time, I've got GREAT NEWS! I got my host family information! I've waited for that since I confirmed my exchange plans, and now seven months later it's finally here! My hostfamily members are a mom, a  18-year-old host sister called and a dog! They (we!) live in Salcedo, which is ( I found his all out after some research - which was really difficult, I'm still not sure if I got the correct information, and there were only really few, and mostly really bad pictures! Something that I promise here and now to fix when I get there! The amount of them I mean x) - that I did even tho I was supposed to read for my last exam) located in the central Sierra, which is in the mountain region, in the middle of the country. And on the other side of the ecuator! It's a town of about 12 thousand so it's a small place but there are big towns nearby and it seems wonderful! It's famous for (this I learned from my friend who was there as an exchange student last year) ice cream that is made/ created there. An ice cream town for an ice cream lover, good job you YFU guys!
/ Niin kuin jo mainitsinkin, HYVIÄ UUTISIA! Sain isäntäperhetietoni! Olen odottanut sitä innolla vaihtopaikkani vahvistamisesta asti, seitsemän kuukautta myöhemmin se kaivattu säkhöposti vhdoon kilahti! Isäntäperheeseeni kuuluu äiti, 18-vuotias sisko ja koira! He asuvat (eli me asumme!) Salcedossa, mikä on -haastavaksi sosoittautuneen ja vähän epävarman googlailun avulla selvitetyn tiedon perusteella- Sierrassa eli maan keskiosassa sijaitsevalla alueella asusteleva kylä, jossa asuu ilmeisesti vaan 12 tuhatta asukasta. Lähellä, noin parinkymmenenen kilometrin päässä on isoja kaupunkeja useitakin, ja pääkaupunkiin Quitoon on noin sata kilomteriä. Salcedosta oli hirmu vähän kuvia ja suurin osa niistäkin mitkä lopulta löytyivät olivat tosi huonoja, mutta lupaan tässä ja nyt ainakin tuon määrä puolen asiasta korjata kun ilmestyn paikall! Mikä tässä tulevassa kotikylässäni on ihan parasta on se, että se on kuuluisa jäätelöstään! Jätskikaupunki jäätelöfriikille - hyvin onnistuitte YFU-toimistot!


  https://fromoffshore.wordpress.com/category/ecuador/

 Okay I have to admit that I hoped a little bit that I would have gotten to go to the coastal region where it's warmer and I could do surfing and such, but there are so many good sides in living in the sierra too; for example traveling around the country is a lot easier because it's in the middle, and the summer break is from July to September instead of the coastal regioners' February to May -break. That's a good thing because three months in a new country might get a little boring even or in the other case, expensive, and I wouldn't learn tha much Spanish. AND, the town I'm going to is located about 100 km from Quito, the capital, and about 50 km away from all the biggest sights in the country! So no, I'm not really sad that I got placed in Salcedo. Nope, not sad at all.
/  Pakko myöntää että kyllähän sinne rannikkoseudullekkin teki kovasti mieli päästä surfaamaan ja aurinkoa ottamaan, mutta Sierrassa asumisessa on kyllä paljon hyviä puolia; mm. se, että maa sisäinen matkustus on helmpompaa ja halvempaa kun on ikäänkuin kaiken keskellä (Amazonin sademetsä on muuten ilmeisesti myös alle 50 kilometrin päässä!), ja Sierran kesälomaa vietetään heinäkuusta syyskuuhun ja rannikolla taas helmikuusta toukokuuhun. Okei lomailuhan kuulostaisi tosi  mukavalta, mutta kumminkin kun kyseessä on vaihtarivuosi, niin parempi että ei tule sitä kolmen kuukauden taukoa opiskelusta ja muihin tutustumisesta ja kaikesta tekemisestä. Ja sijainti niin lähellä pääkaupunkia on plussaa, niin kuin sekin, että maan suurimmat nähtävyydet ovat melkein kaikki 50 kilmoterin säteellä Salcedosta! Muun muassa Cotopaxi, 5897m korkea eli Euadorin toiseksi korkein tulivuori on ihan siinä vieressä, niin kuin kylpyläkaupunki Baños sekä sammuneen tulivuoren kraaterista muodotunut laguunimainen järvi Quilotoa. Joten ei, ei se sijoitus Salcedoon jäänyt kuitenkaan niin kovasti harmittamaan.

http://cotopaxinoticias.com/seccion.aspx?sid=4&nid=13581





 I have this Ecuador-bucketlist of mine, which includes for example the train ride called the 'Devils nose', amazing stairs by a waterfall in Banos and seeing the country's (and the world's!) highest volcanoe, Chimborazo. And all those and many more are around my future home town! Yay!
/ Olen tehnyt Ecuador--ämpärilistaa, jolla on mukana mm. ´Paholaisen nenäksi´ kutsuttu junamatka, vesiputouksen juurella olevat portaat Bañosissa ja maan ( ja Maan!) korkeimman tulivuoren, Chimborazon näkeminen paikan päällä, ja nämä kaikki löytyvät kotikaupunkini lähistöltä! Jee!





http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1080717&page=6 


"Heritage cities, an avenue of volcanoes, indigenous communities, colorful outdoor markets, and a historic train that crosses the Andes await. Vast mosaic-like potato, corn and bean fields, volcanic lagoons and lakes, a cloud forest teaming with hundreds of orchid and bird species, Inca ruins, and natural hot springs adorn the Andean landscape and make for spectacular vistas one can enjoy from the comfort of vehicle, atop a horse or mountain bike, or hanging from a zip line."  - All you need is ecuador.com about the region


http://iheartsightseeing.com/gardeners-paradise-salcedo-ecuador/ 


In the area are a lot of indegenous people, which is also really nice because I'll get to see the 'old ecuadorian culture' as well! There are palmtrees (this is a big must for me, if you thought people couldn't be obsessed with trees or more specisely, one tree type, you were wrong!) and bigger towns (with shopping malls) are not too far either, so also the weird, shallow things I wished for got a check mark. Also quinoa, the lately so popualar breakfast ingredient, is grown in the area - only in the area. I don't yet know which school I'm going to, but I hope that I'll know also that soon. I emailed my host mom yesterday, now I'm just eagerly checking my mailbox every 15 minutes to see if she has already answered! Salcedo here I come, and I'm excited!
/ Alueella elää myös paljon alkuperäiskansoja, mikä on tosi kiva juttu, sillä pääsee tutustumaan espanjasta tuodun kulttuurin lisäksi siihen aitoon ja alkuperäiseen. Salcedosta löytyy palmuja -iso iso plussa mulle, en tiedä mikä siinä on mutta heti kun näen palmun niin muutun kirjaimellisesti puunhalaajaksi!- ja isommat kaupungit ostoskeskuksineen eivät myöskään ole liian kaukana, joten myös nämä kummalliset ja pinnalliset pikkutoiveeni kävi toteen. Ja kvinoaa, lähiaikoina yhä suositummaksi tullutta ruokakasvia kasvatetaan Sierrassa - muualla maailmassa sitä ei kasvakkaan kuin juuri Andeilla-, joten pääsen maistamaan sitten sitäkin! Kouluani en vielä tiedä, mutta toivottavasti sekin tieto selviää pian. Laitoin isäntäperheeniäidille jo sähköpostia mutta ei ole vielä mitään kuulunu, kurkin aina vartein välein mutta tähän asti ollut turhia tarkastuksia. Mutta eiköhän se seiltä vielä saavu! Salcedo täältä tullaan!

Love, Anna

FOLLOW WITH BLOGLOVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments lovelies, they always make my day! Leave a link of your blog so I'll come and take a look! ❤️

Kiitos kommenteista ihanat, piristää aina kovasti päivää! Jos löytyy niin jätä toki oman blogisi osoite niin tulen käymään! ❤️